Monday, November 3, 2008

Dhoni perfect for Test captaincy: Kumble


Former Indian Test captain Anil Kumble has tipped ODI skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni as his suitable successor for Test captaincy."It (Test captaincy) was a transitory phase, can't expect to be a captain for 5 years.""We have an able leader in Dhoni and he is perfectly suited to take over Test captaincy. Team is also looking very nice I am sure it will continue to move forward. Indian cricket is in safe hands," said Kumble a day after his Test retirement.Kumble announced his retirement from Tests on Sunday after the third Test against Australia ended in a draw at Ferozshah Kotla in New Delhi. Dhoni has been named captain for the last Test to be played at Nagpur from November 6.However, he rubbished reports about BCCI's voluntary retirement scheme forced him to take this decision."There was no talk of BCCI telling any player to retire. I don't think any player needs to be told about when to retire. It (the reported retirement plan) is all false. "Nobody told me when to retire. Sourav (Ganguly) took his decision, I took my own decision, there was no pressure. Let's leave it to the individuals. Criticism is fine but don't do it without reason. Don't start questioning the ability of the players. There is no retirement scheme, that's rubbish," he retorted."It's my decision and I am really happy and at peace that I have taken this," asserted the Karnataka spinner."Though, I will miss the dressing room camaraderie, I 'd like to take my time off from all of this. I have been on the road for 18 years," he added.When asked if he would be a part of the Indian Premier League, Jumbo, who plays for Royal Challengers Bangalore, said it was a contractual agreement and he would certainly fulfill it.Asked about Dilip Vengsarkar's comments that his time was up a day before his retirement, Kumble said he prefers not to take such statements personally and instead thanked the former chief selector for giving him an opportunity to captain the Indian Test side."It is something which I don't take personally. That's his opinion. I don't know about it, some journalists came to me and told me about what he had said. I don't read newspapers so I don't know. But thanks to Dilip I got to be the captain of the team. I am thankful to all those who made it possible," he said.On his future plans, Kumble said he was working towards opening an academy for budding cricketers."There are plans to start an academy, not immediately but in a couple of months. The groundwork has already started. I take interest in photography as well so may be I will try my hand at that," he said.
posted by
Anbu.

No comments: