Wednesday, November 12, 2008

World record holder Narang eyes London Olympics


New Delhi: India's first and only individual gold medal in Olympics, Abhinav Bindra, could not shoot a perfect score at the Games but compatriot Gagan Narang shot a perfect 600 and then smashed another world record as he won the 10 meter Air rifle world cup final in Bangkok last week.


Narang has returned home after winning his biggest title till date - the World Cup final.
The field comprised of only the top 10 performers of the year including the Olympic medallists.
Narang won shooting 600 out of 600 to equal the world record in the 10 meter air rifle qualifiers and then a 103.5 in the final to create a new world record for overall score.


"It feels marvellous. I feel on top of the world to achieve what I have always though about. I have done it in training, I have done it in competitions but never officially so it is good," says Narang.


It's been a dramatic turnaround for the Hyderabadi shooter. He was the man in form but famously missed out on the Olympic final on a technicality and watched from the stands as Bindra created history in Beijing.


"It was quite disappointing for me at the Olympic Games. a lot of people who thought very highly of me weren't thinking highly because I missed narrowly," he says about Beijing Olympic Games.


The loss in the Olympics has made Narang more determined and he's already got London in his sights.


"I have to sit down and chalk out a plan as to which competitions I want to attend and which competitions I would want to peak at, which are the important competitions for us," he reveals his future plans.


Beijing was a blip in the radar for Gagan but unfortunately recognition in India is more or less dependent on Olympic glory and it's a wrong he is determined to correct.

Posted by

Anbu.

No comments: